Through CDS Exam you can join Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy or Officers Training Academy.
Thousands of candidates have applied for the upcoming UPSC Combined Defence Service Exam 2017 and preparation is also going on.
So. if you want to see your name in the list of successful candidates you have to study according to the latest syllabus of CDS Exam. Learn the pattern of the exam and solve previous years questions and test papers regularly.
Most important thing for perfect preparation for this exam is to collect the best study materials. Here we will tell about the best books as recommended by the toppers. You can easily collect these books from online bookstores.
These books are prepared by the experts following the latest syllabus and exam pattern of CDS 2017.
This is a wonderful book by Arihant Experts. They have thoroughly discussed all the chapters along with some shortcut methods.
Moreover, the practice sets and previous papers of CDS which are fully solved, will surely help you to understand the total syllabus and pattern of the expected questions. Learn More
The Written Test of CDS has two sections-
- Section 1: If you are appearing this exam to join Indian Military Academy, Naval Academy, Air force Academy written test will be of Objective Type questions in 03 subjects- English, General Knowledge, and Elementary mathematics. Duration for each subject is 2hrs and the maximum mark is 100 for each subject.
- Section 2: If you are appearing in CDS for officers training academy the written test will be of only 02 subjects- English and General Knowledge. Duration for each subject is 2hrs and the maximum mark is 100 for each subject.
|General Knowledge||2 Hours||100|
|Elementary Mathematics||2 Hours||100|
|General Knowledge||2 Hours||100|
All the papers will be consists of objective type multiple choice questions. Except for the "English" subject, the question papers of General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics will be set bilingually in Hindi as well as English.
Before we tell about the best books for CDS Exam, here is an overview of the syllabus of CDS Exam 2017.
The question paper is designed to test your understanding of English and workmanlike use of words.
- Reading Comprehension
- Para Jumbles
- Error Spotting
- Jumbled Sentences
- Sentence Correction
- Fill in the Blanks
General Knowledge Syllabus
- General Knowledge
- Knowledge of current events
- Matters of everyday observation
- Experience in scientific aspects
- History of India and
Elementary Mathematics Syllabus
- Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers. Fundamental operations addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal fractions.
- Time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation.
- Division algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 11. Multiples and factors. Factorisation Theorem. H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm, Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
- Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M. Theory of polynomials, solutions of quadratic equations, The relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered). Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns-analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear equations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or inequations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions. Set language and set notation, Rational expressions and conditional identities, Laws of indices.
- Sine x, cosine x, Tangent x when 0 < x < 90 degrees, Values of sin x, cos x and tan x, for x = 0, 30, 45, 60 and 90 degrees, Simple trigonometric identities, Use of trigonometric tables, simple cases of heights and distances.
- Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on (i) Properties of angles at a point (ii) Parallel lines, (iii) Sides and angles of a triangle, (iv) Congruency of triangles, (v) Similar triangles, (vi) Concurrence of medians and altitudes, (vii) Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square (viii) Circles and its properties including tangents and normals, (ix) Loci.
- Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle. Areas of figures which can be split up into these figures (Field Book), Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders, surface area and volume of spheres.
- Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation frequency polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts, etc. Measures of central tendency.
We have studied most of the best books for UPSC CDS Exam. Some of them give special attention to shortcut methods, some on the syllabus, others on the practice sets and previous years papers.
You may not able to buy all the books. So, here are the top selected books as preferred by the toppers in previous exams.
Lets have an overvi
We all know about Arihant Experts. This book is prepared by them and specially devised for the upcoming CDS examination. The book has been segregated into 3 Sections and further sub-categorized into various other topics.
The contents of the book are as under:
- Mathematics: Number System, Time and Distance, Percentage, Profit and Loss, Logarithm, Rational Expressions, Linear Equations, Set Theory, Height and Distance, Triangles, Circle, Locus, Statistics, etc.
- English: Spotting the Errors, Vocabulary, Synonyms, Antonyms, Idioms and Phrases, Comprehension, Fill in the blanks and Close Test, Sentence Improvement, Ordering of Words/Sentences
- General Awareness: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, Indian Polity, Economy, General Knowledge
Here you will get a large number of practice-based questions which are in the same pattern as that of previous years’ papers of CDS Entrance Examination.
Some practical problems have been given at the end of each chapter. These problems will help you to keep on practicing these topics.
Click to Learn More
#2 Comprehensive Guide to CDS Exam
Another preferable book, "Comprehensive Guide to CDS Exam" has been designed especially for the CDS exam 2017. The book is based on thelatest pattern of the examination as conducted by the UPSC.
This book is covering all the sections that are asked in the exam –
- Mathematics distributed into 25 topics
- English divided into 10 topics
- General Knowledge divided into 7 topics
This is followed by an exhaustive collection of solved practice questions in the form of Exercise(s). Exercises also incorporate selective past question papers with solutions. Practicing these questions, you will come to know about the pattern and toughness of the questions asked in the examination.
The Mathematics and English sections cover 1 exercise each whereas the General Knowledge section has 2 exercises.
The answer keys/detailed solutions are provided for all the exercises in the book.
The book covers latest Current Affairs Question Bank.
Click to Learn More
#3 CDS 10 Years Topic-wise Solved Papers (with free GK E-books)
This book consists of last 10 years (both Feb and November papers) solved papers of Elementary Mathematics, English, and General Knowledge distributed into 42 topics.
In all, there are 19 Question papers from 2007 to 2016 which have been divided into different 42 topics.
Practicing these questions, aspirants will come to know about the pattern and toughness of the questions asked in the examination. In the end, this book will make the aspirants competent enough to crack the uncertainty of success in the Entrance Examination.
All the papers are divided into following sections:
- Mathematics which is distributed into 25 topics
- English is divided into 8 topics
- General Knowledge is divided into 9 topics
The book contains 6460+ MILESTONE MCQ’s from the above 17 Question papers. The strength of the book lies in the originality of its question papers and Errorless Solutions. The solution of each and every question is provided in detail (step-by-step) so as to provide 100% concept clarity to the students.
The book comes with 2 FREE GK eBooks which can be accessed online through voucher code provided in the book.
Click to Know More
We hope these books will help you surely to qualify for the next level of selection procedure. These are the best books for CDS Exam 2017 as preferred by the toppers.
Collect these books and study regularly. Solve practice sets and previous years papers. You will be the winner!!